Friday, April 8, 2011

Funny thing nostalgia.

"The term nostalgia describes a yearning for the past, often in idealized form.[1] The word is a learned formation of a Greekcompound, consisting of νόστος (nóstos), meaning "returning home", a Homeric word, and ἄλγος (álgos), meaning "pain, ache". It was described as a medical condition, a form of melancholy, in the Early Modern period, and came to be an important topic in Romanticism.[1]"........Wikipedia



Funny thing nostalgia, why is it we, at least some of us, experience a wistful sentimental yearning when we think of or visit some place from our past? Pam, Brdger and I did the Route 66 "thing", the last couple of days, as we drove across much of New Mexico, the panhandle of Texas and Oklahoma. Would I feel any different about the places along that storied road were it


not for the three trips my family made along much of it's length during my formative years? Do you get chocked up when the band plays the alma-mater or some OTHER school? Of course not. It is, I suggest, the longing for something lost which can never come again that bubbles up the sentimentality in some of us. I don't think there's a cure and if there was I wouldn't want to take it. I enjoy ruminating on and visiting many of the places from my past, it helps me appreciate the here and now, being grateful for the people, places and things, that have collectively made me who I am today. So with that I share some photos of Route 66, the mother road of US legend and lore.



















































































Location:US Route 66

No comments:

Post a Comment